Thursday, November 6, 2008

El Posto Firsto!

Okay, I have written three drafts of my first post and I didn't like any of them, so here I go: number four.

I'm not exactly sure what to say here, but I'll do my best.

I'm not sure what makes me different. I haven't really had any childhood trauma or life-changing experience. Personally, I think I'm just your average girl. I go to school. I do my homework. I play with my cats. I argue with my brother, and then we forget about the whole thing and watch a billion episodes of Top Gear together. I have parents (no, really?). I guess the only thing that's really different about me in that aspect is that my mom has an eye disease that is slowly deteriorating her vision. We don't know if or when she'll lose it completely, but we're hoping it'll be never or a very long time until then.

Today I realized that I'm kind of a prideful person, and that upset me more than what made me realize my pridefulness in the first place. Looking back on it, although it only happened a few hours ago, I see that the whole thing is kind of insignificant in comparison to other things people are going through, but of course, to a teenage girl, it seems like the end of the whole freaking world. Have you ever realized something about your personality that made you like yourself less? And then you tried your hardest to fix that, because you want to be this certain way, and not like that? Everybody always says "be yourself," but what if you don't think being yourself is the best thing? Such questions. I sound like a moody kid.

I must say, somewhere in this post (so I guess I'll stick it in here), that Zephyr's latest post was absolutely amazing, and I don't know how my lame, monotonous posts are ever going to compare, but I suppose I'll try. Although today might not be the best day for that. It hasn't been all full of cupcakes and rainbows.

Now for a little question. This might keep you up at night thinking about it, though I kind of doubt that. Is there a time when a person suddenly realizes who they truly are? Does a little 40-watt lightbulb appear over their head, go off with a "DING," and they go "Eureka! I know who I am!" Somehow, I seriously doubt that this cartoon-esque scenario is actually how it happens. But does it happen? Or do you go your whole life always trying to figure it out? I wish I knew. Then again, maybe I don't.

Sorry this post is rather pessimistic, although the blog is called The Daily Pessimist, so I suppose it fits.

Thanks for reading, if you did.

Sincerely,
Aravis

6 comments:

Zephyr said...

That was phenomenal, truly. I love your voice and your words. It wasn't as pessimistic as you think it is, it was more insightful. And thank you for the comment about my post. I like how you think, and seriously, you did a great job with this. It's perfect.

Zephyr said...

And the question was fantastic. And the ending was my absolute favorite:

"Thanks for reading, if you did."

Absolutely fantastic. :)

Jizzie V. said...

Agree with Zephyr here. There's definitely an edge to the way you say things. Nice response :D

Rinna. said...

I agree with all of you :) I really loved this post as well as all the others; your thoughts are wonderfully expressed and this is just extraordinarily wonderful. As is this blog as a whole.

Alina said...

This was an amazing post. I forgot to mention in my post about how amazing Zeph's was. I completely agree with you about finding yourself. Defiantly.

Aravis said...

Aww, thanks, guys! You're all too nice. =]