Monday, November 10, 2008

The Drug Happy and the Fortunate

It rang in my mind through reading some of the newest posts about how drugs are an issue.  I thought I'd like to tell you a little about my view of it, and then at the end of this I have a new prompt for everyone.  Anyway, here I go.

So, I am a pretty well-off kid, money-wise.  Seriously, my family has a lot of problems, but money isn't one of them.  I mean, sometimes we all worry and my mother screams at me about how we can't afford this or we can't afford that, but generally, we clean up.  We live in a very nice neighborhood.  A gated community.  And, if you didn't already know, Arizona is usually the home of older people who come to spend the winter months here because it's not cold.  You know, the snooty rich people with the multiple homes?  Jackpot.

The neighborhood I come from is just about the cushiest.  But I think the biggest problem is that nobody realizes that it's not so cushy after all.  You know, it's not like we're growing up on back streets of Brooklyn, okay.  I'm not threatened with a gun every day.   But Arizona is like the 5th most dangerous state because we're FULL of sex offenders and rapists and violent criminals.  It's true.  We have a ridiculous amount of all of that crime in Arizona.  And our schools suck.  We have ridiculous dropout rates at schools.  In fact, I just found out that a girl I used to know just dropped out of school because she's pregnant.  Pregnant. Pregnant!  This isn't supposed to happen.

So, one day I decided to eavesdrop on these kids in my class, and I found out that there's some guy in his mid-forties who is providing our school with drugs.  Well, the really bad drugs, like ecstasy and heroin.  I don't know where everybody gets the pot.  I mean, at my school we have different "groups" of druggies:

The hardcore kids - The "hardcore" refers to all the hardcore drugs.  Cocaine-Kids, Heroin-Happies, Ecstacy-Eccentrics, blah blah blah. A lot of them wear necklaces that have very obvious references to drugs and nobody does anything about them. They don't talk to any of the other druggies.

The "social" pot-smokers - They hardly ever go to school and usually only smoke at parties.  It's like social drinkers.  They're like the rave kids but think they're a lot better.

The rich-ass alcoholics - Just a bunch of really rich kids who hang out, smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol after school where the people who carpool get picked up.  They're the worst because the school knows about it and refuses to do anything about it.  

Pot-Slugs - I call them Pot Slugs because they trail the scent of pot everywhere they go, like slugs and their slime trails.  They're almost as bad as the rich-ass alcoholics because they do all this during school hours and nobody seems to fucking care.

I'm tired of it.  So tired of it.  



NEW PROMPT:

So, we've pretty much finished the prompt.  If you haven't, or are just joining us, continue the old prompt.

Lessons. We've all had to learn them. Pick a few questions to answer:

What's the most difficult/most prevalent lesson you've ever had to learn?  

Why was it the most difficult/most prevalent lesson?  

What advice do you have to people who have made the same past mistakes you have? 

Are you in the middle of learning a lesson?

What is your view on denial/what role does denial play in learning a lesson?  

If you could go back and change something that you've done [that relates to the lesson you've learned], what would it be and how would you change it?

Why do you think we have to learn lessons?

Learning a lesson involves seeing something you've do/have done and realize that you can't do it any more.  Do you think that on some level we always know that what we do is wrong?  

Are lessons something we inflict upon ourselves?

No comments: